For a number of people, Google storage space acts as a physical hard drive. This is where people store their vital documents, notes, photos, and a lot more. The downside to Google storage is that space is limited, and people may run out of it eventually. Google does generously offer up to 15 GB worth storage space for all that is linked with the Google account. In case the user has a G Suite account, then this maximum storage limit is more. The storage consists of data linked to Gmail, Google Photos and Google Drive. Needlessly, you may exhaust the 15 GB storage space pretty soon.
One can easily check their current storage space, including the amount of space used by Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos separately. When you are at the point of no return, you can buy additional storage space as well. However, not everyone may be comfortable with buying space. Some quick spring cleaning may be sufficient to declutter your Google storage and make more room.
Remove discarded Google Drive junk
Often, users end up having a lot of files and other documents on their Google Drive, and it eats a significant amount of the Google storage space. In case you have a lot of useless, redundant stuff stashed in Google Drive, then it’s high time you remove it.
- Firstly, in a new browser tab, visit drive.google.com/drive/u/0/quota.
- Now, you will be able to see a list of all the files in your Google Drive. They will be sorted according to their size with the bulkiest files located at the top.
- Locate the files that are eating up maximum storage and remove the ones you do not need anymore.
- After that, go to the gear button located on the Google Drive page’s top right-hand corner and choose the Settings option.
- After this, click on Manage Apps.
- In case any application has a note regarding hidden data, select the Options drop-down located at the right-hand side and choose the option called Delete hidden app data.
The applications linked with the Google Drive storage space may contain hidden data. This can be deleted in a few clicks.
- Simply, head to the Drive Trash folder and select the Trash option located at the upper side of the webpage and click on Empty Trash.
Reduce Google Photos storage
The photos and videos that are backed up in Photos at full resolution take up a lot of space. Users can reduce their Photos storage space by concerning the pictures and videos stored in full resolution to high-quality. This will compress the pictures and videos, thereby freeing up a significant chunk of space.
- Visit the Photos settings webpage.
- Choose a High-quality option.
- Now, hit the Recover Storage option.
- All the files will get compressed.
Remove junk mails and attachments
Even though emails do not eat up a lot of space, attachments may consume more space. In case your inbox has a lot of attachments, then you need to remove them.
- Firstly, open your Gmail account in a web browser.
- Now, enter has: attachment larger: 10M in the search option.
- Find the emails that you are no longer need and remove them.
- Now, head to the Spam folder and delete all the mails in the folder.
- Finally, empty the Trash folder.
Apart from deleting the existing storage, there are a few other solutions that you may opt for. For example, you can forward you mail to another email service. While doing so, select the option for deleting the copy of the mails from your Gmail account.
Alexa Thomson is an accountancy expert who has worked with leading accountancy software companies. Owing to her expertise in finance, accountancy, and technology, her blogs have been published in leading magazines and platforms. Her favorite accounting software writings come for Quicken support.