If you want to turn off the Windows Update feature entirely on your Windows 10 PC, then you have come to the right place. Windows updates can be very frustrating because they are always running in the background. They consume plenty of your internet data, storage, RAM, processor usage, and much more. This all can result in slow performance of your device. In order to get rid of it, you have to tweak some settings on your device. This article you will learn How To disable Windows 10 updates permanently. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get in.
Why Should One Disable Windows 10 Updates?
Most have found it very frustrating when Windows updates occur in the middle of the shutdown process. It can ruin your user experience as well as computer performance. In order to get normal startup and shutdown, you should disable the updates.
How to Turn Off Windows 10 Updates?
There are a few methods for this, and each method is different from others. You need to follow all of these methods until the Windows Updates gets disabled.
Method 1: Disabling Windows Update Service
Windows 10 doesn’t allow its users to turn off Windows update but with the help of this method you can temporarily solve the problem of automatic Windows updates. It will be re-enabled by itself after some time. Here is how to stop Windows Update by turning off the Windows Update Service:
- Hit the Start + R keys together on your keyboard.
- Write “services/msc” in the text box and then press the OK button.
- A new popup window will open, there you need to scroll down to the “Windows Update” service.
- Now double click on the “Windows Update” option.
- A new tab will open, and there you need to find the “Startup type:” option. Now select the Disabled option from the drop-down menu located next to it.
- Hit the Apply button located on the bottom, and then press OK to close the wizard and save your preferences.
There you have it! That is how to stop Windows Updates services on your computer. As we told you before that it will be enabled automatically, which means it is not a long-lasting solution. Let’s see what can we do further to stop this frustrating issue.
Method 2: Stopping Windows 10 Update Using “EaseUS Tool M”
If you want to stop Windows 10 updates forever, then you should try a third-party application “EaseUS Tool M,” which will prevent the Windows updates. Here how to do it:
- Copy and paste this “http://download.easeus.com/free/toolm.exe” link in the URL bar of your favorite browser. The tool will be downloaded by itself from the official EaseUS website.
- Once the “toolm.exe” file downloaded successfully, open it, and then install the application by following the on-screen instructions.
- When the EaseUS Tool M installed successfully, open it.
- Navigate to the “System Update Management” option located on the left side menu.
- The application will fetch the current Windows Update status and will provide a “Disable” blue button. Press this button to say bye-bye to Windows Update.
The services will be stopped permanently on your device. If you want a reliable solution, then you have to rely on this tool.
Method 3: Tweaking The Group Policy Editor Settings
If you are using Windows 10 Home edition, then this method is not for you since Group Policy settings are not available in it. If your device is running on Professional, Enterprise, or Education edition, then you can follow the below tutorial. Here’s how to configure Group Policy in Windows 10:
- Press the Start + R keys together on your keyboard to trigger the Run dialogue box.
- Enter the “gpedit.msc” command and then press the OK option.
- Go to “Computer Configuration” and then head to the “Administrative Templates” option.
- Navigate “Windows Components” and then click on the Windows Update option.
- Open the “Configure Automatic Updates” option by double-clicking on it.
- Click on the “Disabled” option located under “Configured Automatic Updates” on the left side.
- Now hit the Apply button and then press OK.
Alexa Thomson is an employee at a top email service provider company in the day and a technical writer at night. She is passionate about writing troubleshooting tips, beginner’s guides, news, and other articles on varied topics. She has written majorly on xerox printer support, Lexmark printer support and brother printer etc.