Downloading the macOS through the command line is an easy procedure and with the command line procedure, you will not face any type of errors. If you are willing to build the “USB boot drive” installers, access the full installer application or manage multiple Macs at the same time, this procedure will prove to be useful. It’s a great trick to download and install macOS directly from the terminal application. You can install macOS Catalina, Mojave, and also High Sierra. Now, if you are willing to install it, then here is the procedure to do it.
How to Download and Install macOS Installer from the Command Line
- Open the termination app and use the command syntax by replacing it with “**.**.*” along with the installer edition of your preference.
softwareupdate –fetch-full-installer –full-installer-version **.**.*
- Click the return button to begin downloading the complete installer app of the specific edition of macOS.
- Don’t forget to replace “**.**.*” from the edition you willing to download. to complete the process here is an example for download the complete macOS Catalina so the syntax will be:
softwareupdate –fetch-full-installer –full-installer-version 10.15
- After following these steps, the downloaded installer app of the macOS will show up in the application index of macOS.
Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Installer Application
Just as an example, for download complete installer Mojave 10.14.6 version, you need to follow this:
- softwareupdate –fetch-full-installer –full-installer-version 10.14.6
Download complete macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Installer
For downloading the installer macOS Catalina 10.15.3, your syntax will be:
- softwareupdate –fetch-full-installer –full-installer-version 10.15.3
Download Complete Version of macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Installer
Follow the following syntax to download the macOS High Sierra.
- softwareupdate –fetch-full-installer –full-installer-version 10.13.6
It’s a great feature to download the installer faster with fewer efforts, with overtime, this trick will evolve more to download system software as well. From this procedure, it has been confirmed that older versions cannot be downloaded through this command line. However, it will still way more helpful to most of the users because almost every user is using the higher version.
This software command tool way too powerful, faster, and easier to perform. You can download almost every latest version, and hopefully, in the future, it will provide more features. Every installer version of the macOS that written above is fully compatible to download, and all you have to do is follow the syntax command.
There is one more advantage thing that will be the favor you can use is that you can also install the installer from the third party tool of macOS like: dosdude tool and High Sierra as well. All these tools are compatible and effortless.
Emily Watson is an inventive person who has been doing intensive research in particular topics and writing blogs and articles on webroot.com/safe and many other related topics. She is a very knowledgeable person with lots of experience.