Want to stream music throughout your entire house? Follow this article to the end. Most people don’t know the Amazon Echo speakers’ capability. You can combine them all together for using Alexa for multi-room audio. Even though they are not set up for use as multi-room audio, that is not very hard to do.
Below we have mentioned steps to transform your Alexa speakers present in your home into a multi-room music system.
What Is a Multi-Room Audio Setup?
In today’s world, multi-room audio is coming in trend and are becoming very much popular. It’s nothing but the ability to play the same audio source in a synchronized way on speakers that are present in different rooms. It lets you perfectly listen to music when you go from room to room to hear the music playing seamlessly. The complete functioning can be controlled from a single controller or application, thereby providing you full command over the music playing in your home.
Earlier, it wasn’t easy to do and required specialized hardware. But after some difficulties, Sonos got success in offering multi-room solutions. After a few years, both Amazon Echo speakers and Google Home speakers added multi-room capabilities on their systems as well.
How to Set Up Alexa Multi-Room Music?
To set up a multi-room audio system, you will have to use the Alexa mobile application for creating groups and then you need to assign speakers to those groups. As many groups as desired can be made, and you can use any of the Alexa speakers in more than one group. This way, you will be able to group all the speakers into a single group A for upstairs. You can also include all those speakers in group B for the whole house. Once you have done that, you can ask Alexa to play music in your desired group. Please do remember that you would be able to play only in one group at a time.
In order to get started, you will need two or more Amazon Echo speakers. Every Amazon-branded Echo speaker will be compatible, and you need to set up all the Echo speakers on the same Wi-Fi network. Then you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- You need to open up the Amazon Alexa app on your device and tap the Devices button that you can locate at the bottom-right corner on your screen.
- Then you need to tap the plus sign that you can locate at the top-right corner of your screen and in the pop-up window, tap on Set Up Multi-Room Music. Click on Continue in case you see an introductory welcome screen.
- Create your first group by choosing a group from the list available, or you can tap on Custom Name on the top of your screen and further type the desired group name in it. Click on Next once you have chosen your group name.
- Select the speakers which you want to add to your group. Click on Save, once you are done.
- Once you have saved your first group, you can go back to create a few more groups as desired.
How to Control Multi-Room Music with Alexa?
Once you have set up your groups, now it’s time for you to have some fun by playing music and that too in more than one room at a time. You can do that by giving a command to Alexa for playing music. This can be done by just saying “Alexa, play music [group name].”
The multi-room music setup also works with all the Alexa commands which we use as usual. You can ask Alexa to play a specific artist, song, album, genres, or more.
Final Verdict So, with the help of the steps as mentioned above, you can create multi-room music set up with your Amazon Echo and Amazon Echo Dot speakers. Form a group or several groups, add your speaker to the desired groups and save and then ask Alexa to play your favorite song, artist or genre accordingly.